Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Swimming Etiquette.

I don't like being bumped into when I'm swimming. Partly because it is not the most pleasant feeling, but perhaps more because it throws me off balance. To re-balance myself before I can swim takes quite a lot more energy than just swimming along un-bumped.

Went swimming today. Just for about 45 minutes or so, but in that time, I changed lanes five times. I was under the assumption that when a swimmer swims in lap lanes, he/she should stick to one side (namely, left). It is not the best of manners to swim right in the centre, taking up all the room, and even more importantly, swimming head-on at someone is perhaps not the best of ideas. It is polite to swim at a speed less than 100km/hr in the slow lap lane, and more than 1km/hr in the fast lap lane. Also, getting in the pool and choosing not to swim, but rather just grinning at the other swimmers (of whom you probably don't know any of them, by the way) is impolite, if not a little bit freaky.

Spent quite a lot of energy in trying to maintain my distance from other people in the lane today. I guess not everyone goes by the no bumping rule. Spent the rest of the time observing the swimming etiquette (or rather, lack thereof) of the other swimmers present.

Not entirely a bad thing though. Underwater entertainment.

Might go swimming again tomorrow.

No comments: