Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Observation Skills.

Time passed by quite slowly in the pool today, so to keep myself entertained, I decided to play a game. I had been noticing recently how terrible I am at remembering faces. Today, someone whom I could swear I've never seen before came up to me and asked me how I was going. At first I thought she mistook me for someone else but soon realized that couldn't have when started asking about the specifics of my course.

To test just how poor my my observation skills are, I decided to think of people I see frequently and try to think of as many pieces of their clothing that I could. I can't believe how difficult of a task it was. There I was, doing my laps, physically fine but mentally exhausted - blowing my brains out trying to imagine these clothes. After 30 laps, here is the list I came up with:

- "Sticky fingers" pink shirt
- Pi nerd shirt
- Kathmandu blue jacket
- Short denim skirt
- Black Nautica T-shirt
- Multiple white long-sleeved shirts
- White, long, fluffy jacket
- IH Jumper x n people

Hm. People I've known for three years and see on a weekly basis. I really think I should be able to name more than one piece of their clothing. Also, in fact, most of the above list I either a) borrowed before (e.g. black nautica shirt), or b) mention has been made to them (e.g. stick fingers and fluffy white jacket). Hmmmm.

On a completely different note though, someone coined an interesting new term today. Gas. No, nothing to do with chemicals your body releases. Completely different use of the term. I like it. Don't gas, don't gas, I don't gas.

享受人生 (xiang shou ren sheng) can also easily sound like something completely different. Especially when you're half asleep, three people are piled on top of each other on someone's bed, and lots of mention have been given to thighs and other body parts in conversation preceding.

But back to observation skills. Rightio, will improve that.

Tomorrow, I'll be able to tell you what colour Char's hair is.

1 comment: