Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Good Advice. LISTEN TO IT.

Sure, people often give advice out of false motives. I'd say heaps of people do it because they want to feel superior, feel useful, or are just a general busybody and want to be in everyone else's business.

I came across someone's blog today. The owner of the blog described herself as the "advice queen". Apparently, she "loves to give advice" and "always has the answer". Look, I don't know this "advice queen". Never met her in my life. But from the way she described herself, she probably is right. She probably is quite an advice queen. The queen of bad advice.

You see, those that generally say they are good advice givers... they are the ones that are too sure of themselves, too cocky, too self-righteous to say anything useful. It's like those who say they are good listeners - they talk more about themselves than your worse chatterbox. Those that listen, those that give good advice... their actions speak for themselves.

Alright. This is an overgeneralization. This does not apply to everyone in all circumstances. I know that. I apologize to those out there in which the above does not apply.

But back to advice.

In addition to giving advice out of false motives, lots of advice is crap. I don't need to elaborate. I'm sure you can think of heaps of examples of crap advice.

I feel I am in a fortunate position though. Advice that have been given to me is generally out of sincere motives.

What's even better is that the advice is generally good.

Hm.

Good advice.

Should've listened.

You see. It is as I was telling someone the other day... When you are not thinking, you need to just accept that you can't think, and let others think for you. No one's invincible. Everyone needs help time to time.

For future reference: LISTEN TO PPL'S ADVICE.

2 comments:

Lok said...

Advice. Something I seek and give. Lately it's been a lot of both. I seek advice from someone who is looking after my mental health. I give to my friends who have recently entered into relationships. I tend to be an 'advice queen' but more on the quiet side. At least I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Now sir, I think we've established that half the world never listens to advice, good or bad. Lol. Remember HS? Good advice is hard to come by, and of course, listen to it. Crap advice is too easy to come by, at least some people try?