Monday, June 25, 2007

731.

Those that live in or have once lived in IH may recognize this number.

I could never remember it when I lived there. Well, I didn't need it much in first year - never really locked myself out. Last year was a bit different, though.

Have been rather absent-minded lately. Have forgotten to bring my keys out with me at least four times in the last two weeks. The other day, I came back from Safeway with lots of heavy/bulky stuff. Rice, toilet paper, etc. Realized I didn't have the keys again, and no one was home. Then, for some reason, out of the blue, "731" popped into my head. A number that is rather useless now, but could've been handy a year ago.

Ironically, that day, after realizing that I had no way to get into my house and my housemates were nowhere nearby, I went to IH. Didn't exactly dial 731. Dialed 246 instead. But at least I wasn't homeless.

731. Useful then. Useless now.

Much easier to appreciate things once they are gone.

But try hard to appreciate things when they are there.

No comments: