Monday, March 2, 2009

Hope.

Disclaimer: Contents below pertain to religion. If offended by religious ideas, please refrainer from reading. Thanks.

***

Been going to a different church service lately. Yesterday, the sermon was on 1 Thessalonians 4. There were some interesting points... some of the thoughts that were jumbling about in my mind from the sermon are as follows...

Hope these days often refers to a wishful sort of dream. "I hope the chicken tonight turns out alright", "I hope my footy team wins this weekend", "I hope to have a secure future". None of this is certain, none of it is for sure. On the other hand, according to the sermon last night, hope in the Hebrew text, referred to a certainty, guaranteed by God.

I reckon few would argue with the fact that the world is broken. Some know this brokeness more than others. Bad stuff happens. But because of hope, things will be ok.

But... things will be ok not because you'll get another job. Things will not be ok because you'll get over it. Things will be ok not because time heals.

Things will be ok because of the certainty we have in the Lord Jesus. It doesn't depend on if we are alive or not, it depends on the eternal life that hinges on the resurection.

The greatest gift in the world, offered to us. What are the chances?

***

I must say, I believe this sometimes more than others. If you're reading this and think I'm insane, don't worry, I reckon I see where you're coming from. I know though, that one cannot keep living without hope. It appears common to invent a hope, invent a purpose, just to make life worth living.

Some days I feel like I'm making it up. Some days I feel like I'm just trying to fool myself.

Today I actually believe it.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Pretty good day for self expression I think, K. The last few lines of your post are pretty central to humanity aren't they - whether it's religious hope or otherwise.

Just for clarity, were the last couple of lines specifically about Jesus or a generalisation from the point made at the sermon?