Sunday, July 13, 2008

Singaland Adventures - Part I.

It is interesting being a tourist. Everything can be interesting.

Example: taking a bus. Everyone walks briskly on the bus, swipes their card on the machine thing quickly and takes a seat without thinking twice. As a tourist, you go on the bus, enquire on the fare, bus driver patiently waits for you to figure out the difference between foreign coins, and instructs you exactly where to put the coins and where to obtain the receipt. Meanwhile, other passengers are shaking their head, thinking, "Stupid tourists." It is fortunate that my sense of direction is not too appalling. Slight glitch today in where to get off the bus, but worked out quickly what to do. The bus experience was an adventure.

Singaland is in so many ways like Hong Kong that it is scary. The way the people walk around quickly, with determination, carrying heaps of designer brand shopping bags. Food is never in shortage. In the city, short shorts are everywhere, while in the more "suburban areas", pyjama -looking attire is apparently acceptable.

I made a friend yesterday. She's pretty cool. Apparently she was scared at me at first. She told me later on in the night, "I was scared of you when I first met you cuz you dressed scarily." It wasn't my fault I was at a party where the theme was "Unglamorous". She warmed up to me after I decided to call her Johnny. We totally hit it off when I let her call me Shaunny. Made me work really hard though. Made me crawl on the floor like a crab, made me wrestle, thought that tickling me was the world's greatest game, oh and made me draw robots. Oh, she's six years old.

Singaland is really green. That's the first thing I noticed.

No comments: