Friday, July 25, 2008

Not sure 'bout God.

Do I believe in God? If "to believe" encompasses only "to believe in the existence of", then yes, I believe in God. But if it includes trusting, giving your life to, etc etc, then not really.

In general, I do believe in what the Bible says. Yup, call me crazy, but I believe in creation, the resurrection, the crazy miracles, all that. But the thing is, God doesn't seem very fair to me.

God commands people to love him. But not everyone is given equal chance to do that. Some living in very remote/poor places have no access to the Bible. Some people just think and philosophilize a lot about these issues, making it more likely that they encounter God.

I see lots of people living pretty satisfactory lives. Perhaps not happy, or completely content, but they are, in general, satisfied. These people often just have no desire to get to know God. Many aren't brought up in religious settings, many have had bad experiences with the church.

Not everyone has equal access to God. It is easier for some to love God than others. Seems like God's not really being very fair.

And this doesn't even consider whether the command to "love God" is even fair.

No comments: