Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sure, make it about you.

That's right. That's what people do.

Millions of examples.

A: "I'm really upset.... my uncle died last week."
B: "I understand exactly how you feel. When I was five years old, I had a goldfish that died... it broke my heart and I couldn't go to school for a week because I was so upset... then the teacher came and gave me an ice cream etc etc..."

Or...

A: "I'm really upset, I just broke up with my boyfriend."
B: "That's terrible. What happened?! Did you see it coming? Who broke up with who..." ...(after a long interrogation session) ..." Oh, remember that I'm always here for you. If you need someone to rant to, someone to talk to, I'm always ready to listen."

Or...

A: "B looks upset. I wonder if it is because I....."

Right. Because the world revolves around you. The sun rises and sets everyday just for you. Everyone lives and breathes just for you.

Sure, make it about you.

No comments: