Friday, November 7, 2008

I'm for McCain. Thus, I'm uncool.

Right. both sentences above - pure lies. I am not for McCain. As for the cool factor, well, hm... that's up to reader discretion.

But, this post is not about me. It's about what the press is saying time and time again the history-making US election yesterday.

According to the latest news I read, 47% of Americans voted McCain. If maths serves me correctly, that's approximately 1 in 2 people voted for the guy. However, observing MSN statuses, Facebook updates, all the "O-BAM-A, O-BAM-A" random cheering you hear on the street (and yes, streets of Australia), one would think otherwise.

I reckon it's a generational thing. I reckon that for Generation Y, it is totally uncool to support McCain. Why? Cuz he's not black? Perhaps. Cuz he's 72? Perhaps. I don't know. But unless you are a hardcore Republican that speaks up to your beliefs, you will be unheard. In fact, I've found that most people that speak these days just assume you are pro-Barack, as if it would be impossible for someone to be otherwise.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against the new US presidential-elect, nor was I ever a McCain fan. My knowledge of American politics is limited; nevertheless, what strikes me as curious is this new Obama-craze that has left poor Republican supporters hiding under their hats.

I don't deny that it was an amazing campaign, and it is indeed a history-making election. Sometimes I wonder if people are just fooled by Obama's black-ness and his oratory rhetorics. Especially people that don't seem to really know what's going on, except that "it's in to be pro-Obama".

Then again... I just read somewhere that Sarah Palin thought Africa was a country. So... maybe there's a reason for this craze after all.

Best wishes to the new US President-elect.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i agree dudey! guess ppl like to be hip and in =)