Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thou Shalt Not Kill.

I was convicted today about something I heard.

We've been discussing the Ten Commandments at church. It appears there quite a lot of views on this, and often the Christian faith is seen as one full of rules, boundaries, and "thou shalt nots". That's not how I personally see it, I see it as actually really wise guidelines, that if we actually followed, would make life so much easier. Unfortunately, life hasn't turned out that way.

That's a side track, though. The main issue I want to discuss is the 6th of the 10 Commandments - you shall not murder. This is one of the commandments that I thought I had pretty much downpacked, one that I was fairly on top of. I can say quite truthfully that I have never physically killed anyone.

Then, thinking about it more, what is that commandment really about? As the Bible makes generous allowances for the times when someone is accidentally killed, it seems to be on about the intentional killing of someone, having malice as a forethought. Murder is an obvious one. It seems also relevant to many contemporary issues as well, namely, euthanasia?, abortion and suicide. These are difficult topics; not going to discuss my thoughts on it here. Perhaps another day.

I want to talk about a less extreme case though. In Matthew 5:21-24, it says that “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment."

The Christian faith, the faith I identify with, believes that everyone was created in God's image. It is in this light we should see our community.

I haven't plotted the killing of anyone. But in the past, I have wanted people to die, and occasionally, I struggle with wanting people to suffer. But it's not about me. And it's also not about you. There's more to the world than us.

I've really been a pain to be around lately. I've really been angry with the world. Externally, I have lost my temper a few times, been the subject of anger of many Melbourne drivers, and have apparently had many vacant looks. Internally, though, I have wished plagues upon plagues on people, I have looked at people with anger. People that should be valued.

This is wrong, and I am sorry.

Ordinary people conduct amazing acts of atrocities. May it not be me, may it not be you.

Wishing you good things in the week ahead.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. We both blogged the same blog. Heh heh!

Hopefully, once I'm back at uni and I've got this sup. exam out of the way, we can hang out!

Seriously. Identical posts.

:)

Kei said...

:)

Evan, I really miss you. It was really, really good to see you on Saturday. It has been difficult.

Hope you're feeling better from whatever bug you had caught.

Unknown said...

I'm heading back to Geelong in the morning (7:54am train) and I'll be back here the following Sunday.

I'm just here, a few houses away if you want a visitor :). Just send me a text :). Seriously- If you're not going to bed yet. You know me, I'm the night stalker :).

I miss you, too. I've been studying for my silly sup. exam (went OK, I think).

I'll keep praying for you. It sucks that things aren't going so well.

*Squeeze*